Many founders consider successfully selling their company to be the hallmark of success. However, once you’ve spent the past few years building a business you’re passionate about, how do you decide if you’re really ready to sell? Is it ever a better choice to stay on board and keep building?
To find out the answer, I asked a panel of 8 entrepreneurs how they decided between selling their company and staying on board — and to share one important takeaway for others in their shoes. These were their responses:
1. Don't sell your passion
I spent six years building the first company I sold. The day that I sold it was one of the greatest accomplishments of my life. How many people actually build a company and then successfully sell it? Not a lot. Then as each month went by, and the money sat in my back account as I tried to figure out what to do next, the regret started to set in. I hadn't sold my company, I had sold my passion. You need to understand the difference. Selling a company is a transfer of assets. Selling your passion is a transfer of emotion — which is unfortunately one sided. Ask yourself if you know the difference before you agree to sell. Read more...
More about Selling, Yec, Business, Small Business, and Startups
from MashableScott Gerber








0 comments:
Post a Comment