Tuesday, June 3, 2014

If You're Thinking Of Having Kids Anytime Ever, This Pie Chart Might Make You Stop And Go WTF

Could a creeping focus on profits and less on the middle class (and middle-class parents!) in America be a reason no one noticed it got more expensive (for EVERY level of income person, BTW) in America to do the very basic life-thing of raising a child?





FACT CHECK TIME! The $45,000 increase in the overall cost of raising a child from 1960 to 2012 is based on the U.S. average for children in middle-income, husband-wife families.


You might be looking at the orange pieces of the pie while thinking, "Well, Lori, college got more expensive!" But check this out — this chart covers only K-12 education costs — the increasing cost of college does not even factor in.


Also, just because sometimes you don’t know really great words that could help you describe your world — get involved with the word PLUTONOMY. A plutonomy is a system where the wealthiest class of society controls economic growth and wealth. I didn’t know it before I read this report either, and now I think about it a lot. Thanks to Investopedia for the definition of plutonomy that I liked the best.




I found these charts on a wonderful and dense document called "Beyond the Low Wage Social Contract" from the New America Foundation by Joshua Freedman and Michael Lind. This cartoon does a good job of explaining what a social contract is — and so does Wikipedia!






from Upworthy http://ift.tt/1kHtmdc

via IFTTThttp://ift.tt/1naBrM6
Share this post
  • Share to Facebook
  • Share to Twitter
  • Share to Google+
  • Share to Stumble Upon
  • Share to Evernote
  • Share to Blogger
  • Share to Email
  • Share to Yahoo Messenger
  • More...

0 comments:

Post a Comment